This email is to inform you of the launch of the call for proposals for new (Tier 1) First Nations Guardians’ Initiatives, and to encourage First Nations communities, organizations, or governments to submit their proposal for funding.
- This will be the final call for applications as part of the Indigenous Guardians Pilot Program. Though the Pilot Program typically receives a high volume of strong applications, the funding available is limited and selection is highly competitive.
- The ultimate goal of the Pilot Program is to build the business case in support of long-term and increased funding for Indigenous Guardians across Canada.
- Previous applicants to Tier 1 can reapply, if they can show they still meet the Tier 1 funding criteria. But funding in one year is not a guarantee of funding in a subsequent year.
- Maximum allocation is $60,000 per year for activities to be completed by March 31, 2022.
- A total of 10 Tier 1 initiatives will be selected for $600,000 in total funding for the fiscal year, nationally. For the application guidelines please click here.
- The application process is closed for Tier 2 and Tier 3 initiatives. No application from Tier 2 and Tier 3 initiatives will be accepted.
- For further details on what constitutes a New Initiative, please refer to the Tier 1 definition in the Applicant Guideline (attached).
How to submit an application:
Please submit all required documents no later than November 30, 2020, 23:59 (Pacific Standard Time) by email to email@example.com. Late submissions will not be accepted. Please note that support will be offered only up to 15:00 (Pacific Standard Time) on November 30, 2020.
The proposal package (attached) includes the required templates and supporting information. Please review all of the documents before starting your application:
- Applicant Guideline
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Proposal Form (Required)
- Budget Template (required for section 7 of the Proposal Form)
- Work Plan Template (required for section 7 of the Proposal Form)
How proposals will be reviewed:
The First Nations-Federal Pilot Joint Working Group on Guardians (JWG) will review the proposals, and will use the assessment criteria found in the First Nations Guardians’ Initiative – Applicant Guideline (attached) to recommend which projects have the best chances of long-term success. The JWG is comprised of First Nations Guardians experts and federal representatives.
Vision for First Nations Guardians’ Initiatives:
First Nations’ Guardians are initiatives created and defined by First Nations. These initiatives serve as an expression of Nationhood, and Cultural Responsibility to First Nations lands and waters. This nation-based model of self-determination and reconciliation is premised on a shared understanding of responsibility, decision-making, connection and respect for Mother Earth.
Our vision gives rise to First Nations, governments, and communities to honour and fulfill our cultural responsibilities to our homelands. This model enables a true Nation-to-Nation partnership with the Government of Canada and provincial and territorial governments on responsible territorial land and marine stewardship.
Questions? Need more information?
- Visit: https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-climate-change/services/environmental-funding/indigenous-guardians-pilot-program/first-nations.html
- Indigenous Guardians Pilot Program Secretariat: firstname.lastname@example.org